Saturday, January 2, 2010

The famous indian NAMASTE


Namaste (नमस्ते) is the way indian hindus greet each other. Actually, not only hindus but every indian uses it. "namaste" is probably the most famous hindi word overseas.

It is often related to Yoga by the westerners but it has no relation with Yoga. Namaste means 'i bow to you'. Namaste is an expression of the deep-rooted concepts of hindu relegion that God resides in the heart of each and every person irrespective of his age, sex, caste or relegion. By saying Namaste we bow to the godliness and purity in the individual in front of us.
Since I was born, my parents advised me to greet every elder with a namaste. Namaste is a very powerful word. If used correctly, it can promote mutual respet and harmony in the society.
Next time you greet someone use a NAMASTE..or atleast feel it.

3 comments:

  1. the journey of a young boy...... You touched my heart young boy !! CONGRATS on dat... You know, it doesnt matter, be it our first world or ur third world...Wat matters is we have all got our own QUESTS nd this is beautifl !! Carry on young INDIAN...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste.
    I know your blog from Blog Catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! I learned namaste when I worked at Rosetta Stone, the language software. I also worked in a clinic with some Ayurveda practitioners and learned to use the word there. However I never knew the meaning.

    ReplyDelete